Carnival Destiny will undergo a $155 million dry dock makeover next year
Carnival Destiny (pictured above) will be transformed into one of the line’s “Fun Ships” and take a new name Carnival Sunshine in 2013.
The new ship will be completely transformed, with a reconfigured layout, the addition of a partial deck, the expansion of two other decks and 182 extra cabins.
The new-look ship will also incorporate all of Carnival’s most popular dining, bar and entertainment features on its latest ships – Carnival Magic and the soon-to-be-launched Carnival Breeze.
These new features include:
- Guy’s Burger Joint, a free-of-charge poolside venue developed in partnership with Food Network personality Guy Fieri
- BlueIguana Cantina, a poolside Mexican eatery
- Fahrenheit 555, a classic American steakhouse
- Cucina del Capitano – Italian restaurant
- A stunning new full-service Asian restaurant inspired by the line’s popular Mongolian wok casual eateries
- An expansive casual poolside eatery, Lido Marketplace
- A new casual dining option, “The Comfort Kitchen,” located within the Lido Marketplace
- Completely renovated main dining rooms
- A newly designed coffee bar
- RedFrog Pub and RedFrog Rum Bar
- BlueIguana Tequila Bar
- EA SPORTS Bar
- Alchemy Bar, a vintage-themed cocktail “pharmacy”
- The Library Bar
- A new lounge, Havana Bar, a tropical-inspired nightspot located aft within Lido Marketplace featuring a panoramic ocean view from its floor to ceiling windows, live Latin music and dancing
- The new Sunshine Bar, an elegant lounge with sun-splashed interiors
- A new cigar bar concept, with a variety of brandies, cognacs and liqueurs
- Carnival’s first three-deck-high Serenity adults-only retreat
- SportSquare, Carnival Sunshine’s new open-air recreation complex that includes a ropes course, mini-golf course, a lighted half court for basketball and volleyball, jogging track, ping pong, pool, and foosball tables
- Carnival’s Seaside Theatre, a poolside 270-square-foot high-tech LED screen
- Playlist Productions,
- Hasbro, The Game Show, where guests are part of the show
- Piano Bar 88, a new twist on Carnival’s popular piano bar concept with themed nights
- The Punchliner Comedy Club Presented by George Lopez
- All staterooms will be fully revamped and feature a new tropical décor
- Newly designed play areas catering to kids in three age groups, along with popular elements of Carnival’s new partnership with Hasbro
- The FunHub, an internet cafe
- Cloud 9 Spa
- Cherry On Top, a novelty shop
- Ocean Plaza, a café and entertainment venue
The 49-day dry dock will take place in Italy from February to April 2013.
Following the dry dock, Carnival Sunshine will embark on a schedule of nine- and 12-day Mediterranean voyages from Barcelona and Venice from April to October 2013 then launch year-round seven-day Caribbean departures from New Orleans beginning November 2013.
“This is our most ambitious ship conversion project to date and it will radically transform the Carnival Destiny into essentially an entirely new ship offering a variety of exciting dining and beverage choices, spectacular outdoor spaces and entertainment options, and on-board innovations not available anywhere else,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and chief executive.
• Win a cruise – be the first to experience Carnival Breeze and write about your experience for Cruise International.