Cruising is such a fantastic experience that can give you some unforgettable memories. So what are you waiting for? Here are our top reasons to book a cruise right now
1. A cruise is simply the best way to discover the world. From the Amazon to the Zambezi, Barcelona to St Petersburg, ocean and river cruises offer the chance to see an extraordinary range of destinations, on one fabulous holiday.
2. Value for money. The majority of cruise holidays include all food and onboard entertainment; some include excursions and alcohol. In a price comparison with land-based holidays, cruises win.
3. The range of experiences. You can learn from celebrity chefs; see Grammy-award winning artists; hear lectures by well-known historians, authors and TV personalities; and immerse yourself in local culture everywhere you go.
4. You can experience the high life. From butlers catering to your every whim in MSC’s Yacht Club to SeaDream’s Champagne and caviar parties in the surf.
5. The food. You can eat in restaurants run by celeb chefs including Nobu, Marco Pierre White and Jamie Oliver and try delicacies from all over the world.
6. The views. On an ocean cruise you can enjoy breakfast on your balcony looking out at glittering sea.
7. “A cruise is the easiest, most stress-free holiday you and your family will ever take.” Liz Jarvis, Editor, Cruise International
8. You can visit intriguing destinations, confident you’re in safe hands. Russia, Burma, China – all are hassle-free on a cruise.
9. You’ll see lots of amazing places and unpack only once.
10. Cruises are family-friendly. Opt for a cruise line like Carnival, Norwegian or Royal Caribbean and there’s a dizzying array of things for kids to do.
11. “You draw back the curtains to see a new island, port or country – and all you’ve had to do is be wined and dined and dance the night away.” Jennie Bond, broadcaster
12. There are cruises to suit all tastes. Whether you’re adventurous or want to learn something new, a foodie or looking for high-octane thrills, there’s a cruise for you.
13. “My husband can go to the casino while I enjoy a spa treatment and the boys play around on the FlowRider or rock climbing wall. Then we’ll meet for dinner and a show or some live music. You’d never get that variety with a beach holiday.” Sally Gunnell, OBE
14. A cruise is a great way to get closer to wildlife – from whale-watching in Alaska, meeting seals and turtles in the Galápagos Islands to scuba-diving with tropical fish in the Bahamas.
15. “Being out in the middle of nowhere, as far away from humanity as you can possibly get is very appealing.” Russell Watson
16. “The great thing about a river cruise is the ever-changing tableau of towns.”
Neil Oliver, TV presenter
17. The onboard facilities. From Norwegian’s Ice Bars to Royal Caribbean’s Ice rinks, you’ll be amazed at what ships can offer.
18. To see the Northern Lights. It’s a bucket list experience.
19. There is no age limit on who can enjoy a cruise holiday.
20. Cruises can be very romantic, and offer a stress-free way to reconnect.
21. Pampering. Many cruise ships have spas and a range of treatment options available.
22. The constantly-changing scenery. There is always something new to look at.
23. Incredible entertainment. From Broadway and West End-style shows to exclusive performances from world-famous singers, the entertainment is unforgettable – and it’s all included.
24. Shopping for your cruise. It’s part of the fun, right?
25. Unforgettable sunrises and sunsets, and if you go on a Baltic cruise in July/August you can experience the Midnight Sun.
26. So that you can unleash your inner explorer.
27. The social media swagging. And the selfies.
28. The chance to visit some of the world’s most beautiful cities. Rome, Venice, St Petersburg, Miami… the list is endless.
29. Early bookings. The sooner you book, the sooner you can plan – plus you could get a better deal.
30. 1.79 million Britons – the number who took a cruise last year – can’t be wrong.
31. Dodgems at sea on Quantum of the Seas which launches later this year. Got to be done, right?
32. Hate flying? You can still visit the world’s best destinations from the UK.
33. Extend your holiday with a pre- or post-cruise stay.
34. “The chance to nose around beautiful gardens on shore.” Charlie Dimmock
35. The choice of ships. From paddle steamers to gulets and luxury liners.
36. You can explore. A cruise can take you to some of the world’s most remote, unspoiled areas, including Antarctica and the Amazon.
37. Towel animals. Guessing which animal it’s supposed to be is half the fun.
38. Melon carvings. Ditto.
39. “Everybody can eat what they want: made-to-order options, kid-pleasing food like mouth-watering burgers, Tex-Mex, pizza – plus, ice cream and frozen treats are never far away.” Jennifer Howze, jenography.net
40. The glamour – particularly if you sail with a line with a rich heritage, such as Cunard, or MSC, with its Swarovski-crystal studded staircases.
41. Overnight stays. You could have dinner in Venice or go to the Russian ballet in St Petersburg.
42. “Cruises are a luxurious way to travel and give you the chance to wake up in a brand new place every day.” Michael Ball
43. “I’ve always loved the ocean, and I’m never happier than when I’m on a ship.” Ben Fogle, adventurer
44. “Cruise passengers are always very engaging and interesting. They always have so many stories to tell.” Atul Kochhar
45. “It’s one of the most glorious ways to experience the cuisine of the world in two weeks – a gourmet tour of the finest, most authentic, freshest local dishes.” Marco Pierre White
46. “The entertainment is fab.” Sheridan Smith, actress
47. “Being on a ship is lovely – there’s something timeless about sailing somewhere.” Stephen Tompkinson, actor
48. “I had never been on a cruise before I went on two Strictly cruises on Oriana. Now I love them.” Craig Revel Horwood
49. “At the end of the day, you always come back to the luxury of your cabin. And if you really like a place, you can always spend more time there.” Eric Lanlard, chef
50. “To sit on the balcony and look at the view.” Derren Brown, illusionist
Read part two of 100 reasons to book a cruise right now.
If you’ve been inspired to take a cruise, use our Cruise Finder to find your perfect voyage.