Ever wondered just how much food and drink is consumed on an average cruise? With Spam being the unfortunate food of choice on board the Carnival Splendor this week, here are some amazing cruise food facts.
- Every day 2,550 fresh eggs are consumed by Holland America’s Eurodam, 2,100 guests and 900 crew.
- A whole county in Iowa raises all its cattle for sale to Carnival Cruise Lines.
- On board Carnival Dream, passengers eat of 28,730 shrimp every week.
- 6,200 cocktails and 15,000 coffees are drunk on Costa ships every week.
- On board MSC Fantasia class ships, 2,000 different recipes are used on a seven-day cruise.
- 280 bottles of free champagne, 10lbs of caviar and 120lbs of lobster are devoured on Seabourn ships (Legend/Pride/Spirit) over seven nights.
- On an average P&O Ventura 14-day cruise, 3,096 passengers and 1,200 crew will eat some 171,840 main meals.
- During an eight-night cruise on board Fred. Olsen’s Boudicca, 630 litres of ice cream will be eaten.
- On a typical 10-day cruise, the shopping list for Crystal Symphony includes over 60 tonnes of food-stuffs to be purchased and delivered to dock in the few hours on turnaround day.
It is not known exactly how much Spam was consumed by passengers on the stranded Carnival Splendor in November 2010