Viking has announced it will be expanding its destination-focussed cruises with the launch of Mississippi River cruises.
At a time when we could all do with a bit of happy news, Viking has announced the launch of a brand-new river cruise, further expanding their roster of destination-focused travel experiences. The new Viking Mississippi River cruise will debut in August 2022.
Following on from the news that the company will launch two new expedition ships in 2022, the announcement comes as Viking Chairman Torstein Hagen honours a commitment made to loyal Viking guests about an exciting new Mississippi product. The Mississippi River cruise will also see the company’s first custom-built vessel, Viking Mississippi, take voyage.
“At a time where many of us are at home, looking for inspiration to travel in the future, I am pleased to introduce a new, modern way to explore this great river,” said Mr Hagen of the new Viking Mississippi.
“We invented the concept of modern river cruising when we got our start 23 years ago—first on the rivers of Russia and then in Europe. Since then, many people have come to appreciate the unique exploration that comes with river cruising—but currently there are very few options to do so on American rivers.
“Our guests are curious travellers, and they continue to tell us that the Mississippi is the river they most want to sail with us. No other waterway has played such an important role in America’s history, commerce and culture.”
Where will the Viking Mississippi River cruise go?
With a debut set for August 2022, the scheduled ports of call on the new Viking Mississippi River cruises currently comprise seven U.S. states.
The vessel will visit: Louisiana (Baton Rouge, Darrow, New Orleans and St. Francisville); Mississippi (Natchez and Vicksburg); Tennessee (Memphis); Missouri (Hannibal, St. Louis); Iowa (Burlington, Dubuque and Davenport); Wisconsin (La Crosse); and Minnesota (Red Wing, St. Paul).
About Viking Mississippi
The new custom-built vessel will host 386 guests in 193 all outside staterooms. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
Highlights of the new ship include:
- All Outside Staterooms: Guests can choose from seven spacious stateroom categories that range from 268 sq. ft to 1,024 sq. ft: Veranda, French Balcony, Deluxe Veranda, Penthouse Veranda, Penthouse Jr. Suite, Terrace Suite and Explorer Suite.
- Viking Suites: Guests in Penthouse Jr. Suites and Terrace Suites receive early stateroom access; expanded double-sink bathroom; mini-bar with alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, water and snacks replenished daily; welcome champagne; and laundry, pressing and shoe shine services. Guests in the expansive Explorer Suites also receive a wraparound veranda and complimentary Silver Spirits Beverage Package.
- Explorers’ Lounge & The Bow: The sun-filled, two-story Explorers’ Lounge has floor-to-ceiling windows that open to The Bow, a unique outdoor seating area at the front of the ship where guests can relax and enjoy ever-changing riverside views.
- Aquavit Terrace:Viking Mississippi will also feature a revolutionary Aquavit Terrace on the top deck, providing a casual dining space for al fresco dining on the Mississippi.
- Sun Terrace with Infinity Plunge Pool
- Full 360-Degree Promenade Deck
- Sustainable Features: An energy-efficient hybrid propulsion system will make Viking Mississippi the most environmentally friendly passenger ship on the Mississippi River.
Viking Mississippi Inaugural Voyages
For 2022-2023, Viking Mississippi’s four inaugural voyages will comprise of the following:
- America’s Heartland (8 days; St. Louis to St. Paul) from £4,790
- Heart of the Delta (8 days; New Orleans to Memphis) from £3,990
- Southern Celebration (8 days; New Orleans–Vicksburg–New Orleans) from £3,990
- America’s Great River (15 days; New Orleans to St. Paul) from £8,690
For more information on pricing and voyage details visit vikingrivercruises.co.uk.