Viking River Cruises has commissioned six more Viking Longships for delivery in 2013 – on top of the six new vessels that it will take delivery of this year.
The six new Longships will be joining Viking Freya, Viking Idun, Viking Njord and Viking Odin, which will be christened in Amsterdam next week (March 21). And Viking Embla and Viking Aegir, which will be delivered later in 2012.
The Viking Longships have raised the bar on river cruising when it comes to luxury, facilities and innovations.
Some of the stand-out features, which will be unveiled next Tuesday, include:
- The largest river cruise suites in Europe at 445 square feet, each featuring a separate living room, bedroom and private wraparound veranda, offering 270-degree views.
- Seven two-room Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom.
- Thirty-nine Veranda Staterooms with full-size verandas.
- Twenty-two French Balcony Staterooms.
- A new all-weather indoor/outdoor Aquavit Terrace, which allows guests to enjoy the scenery and dine al fresco.
- New premium in-cabin amenities that include heated bathroom floors and mirrors, Sony HD TVs and premium bath products
- Sustainability upgrades, such as solar panels, an onboard organic herb garden and energy-efficient hybrid engines that reduce vibrations
- With the six new vessels, Viking will have invested more than $400 million in its fleet development programme over three years.