Jean-Marie Zimmermann, Michelin-starred chef and Cunard’s culinary ambassador, shares a special recipe
Warm Baked Onion Tart with Goats’ Cheese
For the pastry
250g White flour
100g Unsalted butter
2g Table salt
For the filling
800g Yellow onions
70ml Whipping cream
125g Goats’ cheese
Mixed salad leaves
125g Tomato sauce
50ml Olive oil (extra virgin)
50ml Sherry vinegar
10g Tomato concentrate
Salt and Pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in a blender and strain through a sieve.
Shallot and Red Wine Vinaigrette
25g Shallots chopped fine
25g Red wine vinegar
20g Vegetable oil
1g Ground white pepper
1g Thyme leaf chopped
1 Clove of garlic peeled and lightly pressed
1 large sprig of thyme
Mix together in a bowl and leave for 6 hours before using.
- To make the pastry mix the flour and butter together, add the salt then add the water. Knead until it comes together, roll into a ball, wrap in Cling Film and leave in the fridge for 1 hour before using. When the pastry is ready to use, roll it out evenly.
- Thinly slice the onions and cook slowly with a pinch of salt until very soft; add a little water if necessary.
- When cooked, allow to cool (to touch) before using.
- Put the onions in the base of the tart 1/2 way up.
- Whisk all the tart mix ingredients together and add seasoning; pour the tart mix into 2/3 of the tart.
- Add the crumbled cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 150°C for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before serving. Serve with frisée salad and vinaigrette.
Click for more information on: Cunard