Follow these essential tips for what to wear when you are on a cruise, and you’ll be prepared for all eventualities
1. What to to pack for life on board a cruise ship
Generally the dress code is smart casual by day and whatever the ship stipulates by night. Some are more informal while others designate some evenings as formal or semi-formal. Comfortable shoes are a must, although women might want their heels for formal nights.
- Read our guide to the Top 10 Cruise Essentials for your suitcase
2. Formal nights
On these occasions men are expected to wear a tuxedo or a business suit and tie, while women can wear a long evening gown, cocktail dress or smart trouser suit.
- Read our selection of the Best Evening Dresses to wear on a Cruise
3. Cruising to Alaska, the North Cape or the Norwegian Fjords
You’ll need warm, comfortable clothing layers and a raincoat. And if you go on an expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula or through the Northwest Passage you’ll need thermal underwear, thick socks and heavy sweaters.
- What to pack for a cruise to Alaska – The Top 10
- What to pack for a Norwegian Fjords cruise – The Top 10
4. Cruising to Tropical areas
Make sure you take sunglasses and a hat, inexpensive rainwear for any excursions – rainstorms won’t last long but they can give you a good soaking! – and plenty of lightweight cottons and other natural fibres to wear.
5. Sporty Types
Don’t forget to pack your swimwear, sportswear and gym shoes – if you want to you’ll be able to get plenty of use out of them.
6. Visiting Mosques and Churches
Shorts and bare shoulders may cause offense, so take something suitable to cover up with, if necessary.