Win a luxury weekend in Jersey
By Katie McGonagle | 22 Apr 2022
Welcome to the curiously Brit…(ish) island of Jersey, a place that’s familiar yet ever so slightly exotic
In association with Visit Jersey
Set just eight miles off the French coast, Jersey’s continental curiosities are waiting to be discovered in every corner of this small island, which is just nine by five miles.
It’s the sunniest spot in the British Isles, combining stunning coastline and rustic coves, sophisticated shopping in the capital, St Helier, with rolling countryside and rugged clifftops, all just a short flight or ferry ride away.
Perfectly petite and packing a punch, Jersey is a melting pot of the best bits of the British Isles, blended effortlessly with sophisticated French influence and authentic character that lures travellers in search of sunshine, history, local gastronomy and adventure.
What to eat in Jersey
It’s famous for Jersey Royals and distinctively creamy dairy products – best enjoyed in an indulgent afternoon tea – but this island has plenty more fresh, field-to-fork produce to discover. With the world’s third-largest tidal range, its shores are an ideal environment to find fresh oysters, lobsters and hand-dived scallops. This is an island where honesty is its own reward, so why not pop a few Jersey pounds in any farm-gate honesty box to pick up freshly dug Royals or sweet strawberries. Or enjoy a tasting experience in the heart of the countryside at La Mare Wine Estate, the UK’s most southerly vineyard and a place to pick up gourmet souvenirs and gifts including Jersey black butter, vodka or locally made chocolate.
Elizabeth Castle. Picture: Visit Jersey
Explore Jersey’s castles
Walk across the causeway (at low tide) or take the castle ferry to the ancient battlements of Elizabeth Castle, which has stood over St Aubin’s Bay for more than 400 years. Find out about Sir Walter Raleigh’s stint as governor of Jersey in the early 1600s, why King Charles II sought refuge here during the English Civil War, and see the hermitage where St Helier lived – and if that’s not enough, you can even stay overnight to explore this Tudor castle.
Browse the ships in Jersey capital St Helier
Enjoy the bustling streets of St Helier, which has all the shops, bars and restaurants you’d expect of the capital within a walkable distance. Head to the Central and Beresford Street Market where stalls are piled high with fresh fruit and veg then browse the boutiques along King Street to dig out quirky local crafts. Make sure you book ahead for the island’s only Michelin-starred restaurant, Bohemia, which has held that honour for 17 years straight thanks to contemporary cooking and top-notch ingredients.
Go on a Jersey boat trip
Glide across the water on a boat trip to spot dolphins and other marine life frolicking near Jersey’s shores. You’ll head towards nearby islands of Les Ecréhous or Minquiers while a guide points out Atlantic grey seals, a host of birdlife or playful bottlenose dolphins – and you could even upgrade your adventure to stop off for a private sandbank picnic on the way.
Visit Jersey’s best beaches
Jersey’s beaches are delightful by day, but La Rocque harbour after dark treats you to an entirely different kind of beauty. Jersey Walk Adventures hosts spectacular bioluminescence walks on the seabed so you can stroll through ‘caulleriella bioculata’ – worms that glow like fireflies – as they light up the sand below to match the stars in the sky above.
Book a holiday to Jersey
British Airways Holidays offers a fantastic-value short break in Jersey, with flights and three nights at four-star La Place Hotel and Country Cottages from just £329 per person (based on travel from Heathrow on selected dates from August 1-31, 2022, ATOL protected, terms and conditions apply. Book at ba.com/jersey).
Win a luxury weekend in Jersey
Visit Jersey is giving away a luxury weekend for two with a Michelin-starred dinner, along with two hampers packed full of Jersey goodies for the runners-up. One lucky reader will enjoy two nights in a Deluxe room with breakfast at The Club Hotel & Spa, set in the heart of St Helier and featuring a rooftop garden, heated pool and thermal spa.
They’ll be treated to a tasting menu for two at the hotel’s Michelin-starred restaurant, Bohemia – the only venue on the island to boast the prestigious accolade – along with return travel with Condor Ferries for two passengers and a car, departing from Poole or Portsmouth.*
There are also two hampers of luxury Maison de Jersey goodies to be won, stuffed with Jersey black butter fudge, white chocolate-dipped biscuits, handmade chocolate Florentines, Jersey black butter, apple chutney and onion relish.
To be in with a chance of winning, simply answer the question below by 11.59pm on June 10, 2022.
Enter the competition
Terms and conditions:
The following terms and conditions relate to the Visit Jersey and Cruise International competition 2022. The promotion is not open to employees of the Promoter (Visit Jersey), their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion.
The Promoter is Visit Jersey Limited, a company registered in Jersey with registration number 116716 whose registered office is 3rd Floor Commercial House, 3 Commercial Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE2 3RU.
1. Enter your email address and agree to the required terms for the chance to win an island break to Jersey.
2. The competition runs from 22 April 2022 and closes at 11.59pm on 10 June 2022 (the “Promotional Period”). After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted. Once you have entered your email address, you will automatically be entered into the free prize draw.
3. The number of entries is limited to one person per email address.
4. No entries from agents, third parties, organised groups or entries automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No incomplete or corrupted entries will be accepted. Entries will only be accepted if they comply with all entry instructions.
5. The prize winner must be at least 18 years at time of winning the competition prize.
6. The prize winner must be resident in the United Kingdom at time of winning the competition prize.
7. Responsibility is not accepted for entries lost or delayed for whatever reason.
8. The competition prize is a two-night break to Jersey for two people, staying at The Club Hotel & Spa (including breakfast) and one tasting dinner for two at Bohemia Restaurant. The prize includes a return sailing (with car) from Poole or Portsmouth with Condor Ferries.
9. The prize, including travel and accommodation are all subject to availability at the time of booking. There is no cash alternative to the prize. The prize is subject to availability and the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the whole or any part of the prize for one of equal or greater value.
10. Ferry and hotel reservations are subject to availability and travel is permitted from 1 October 2022 – 31 March 2023 inclusive. Christmas and New Year period is excluded (12 December 2022 – 9 January 2023). Dinner at Bohemia excludes dining on a Saturday night.
11. Any sharing including #JerseyCI, and #TheIslandBreak must be suitable for display and publication online and should not be obscene or indecent. It must not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the entrant). If you submit any content that includes material the rights in which are owned by a third party, including intellectual property rights such as copyright and trademarks, you will be responsible for any legal action that party may take against you.
12. No communications or correspondence will be entered into regarding the moderator’s decision.
13. The winner will be notified by email within 14 days after the competition closing date. The winner must claim their prize within the terms set. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with the promotion rules.
14. The winner’s details (name and country) will be made available on request, with express permission of the winner, to those writing to Visit Jersey, Commercial House, 3 Commercial Street, 3rd Floor, St. Helier, Jersey, JE2 3RU for 28 days after the published closing date, enclosing a stamped SAE.
15. Entrants may be invited to participate in publicity arising from this promotion, although they are under no obligation to do so and will only participate with their express consent.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by any other organisation other than Visit Jersey Limited.
17. By entering the competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these Terms and Conditions and consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this promotion and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented. All entry instructions form part of the terms and conditions.
18. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a Force Majeure; war, civil or military disturbance, epidemic, pandemic, act of God, act of Government or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the Promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the Promoter.
19. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by Jersey Law.